Niacinamide is a water-soluble form of vitamin B3. As a supplement, it’s used to help maintain healthy skin and reduce the appearance of various skin conditions.
It is effective for treating acne because it can reduce sebum production and inflammation, which are both major contributors to breakouts.
Niacinamide also works well at increasing hydration and boosting collagen production. This means it can make your skin look firmer and smoother.
If you’re not sure how to incorporate it into your daily routine, I’ve got you covered. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use niacinamide in your skincare routine.
1. Do a patch test
Before you include niacinamide into your skincare routine, ensure to conduct a patch test. This will help determine if you have any irritations or allergic reactions to niacinamide or not.
Although topical niacinamide is clinically considered safe on all skin types, your skin might react differently. Doing a patch test is crucial because it can help you avoid nasty reactions like rashes, hives, and blisters.
As with all skincare ingredients, your wrist is the best area of skin to do a patch test on. This is because the skin on your wrist is also sensitive like your face, so if you’re going to have any irritations or allergies, it will show on your wrist.
How to do it:
- Start by washing your wrist with a mild cleanser and warm water.
- Dry your wrist with a clean towel or washcloth.
- Add small amounts of your niacinamide cream or serum to your wrists to see how your skin tolerates it.
- Rub it in with your fingertips using gentle circular motions.
- Let it sit on your skin for 24 hours to see if there is any adverse reaction.
- Rinse your wrist after 24 hours with cool water.
Discontinue use if you experience any allergic reactions or irritations, and see a dermatologist immediately for better options.
If you do not experience any allergic reactions or irritations, congratulations, let’s proceed with the other steps.
2. Cleanse your skin
Now that you’ve passed the patch test, the next step is to cleanse your skin. Cleansing your skin helps to prepare your skin for the rest of your skincare products. This, in turn, will help maintain clear, glowing skin.
Start by wetting your face with clean water and then apply a generous amount of cleanser to your skin. This will help remove dead skin cells, dirt, and oils that build up over time and cause blemishes.
Massage the cleanser into the entire surface of your skin for about 1 minute, and then rinse with cool water. Gently pat your skin dry with a towel (always use a clean towel to avoid introducing new bacteria to your skin).
If you have oily skin, a foaming cleanser with salicylic acid will work best for you. These types of cleansers are great at removing oil from your face without leaving residue.
3. Apply your toner
After cleansing, grab a bottle of toner. This is a double cleansing step to ensure you remove all impurities from your pores, leaving them clean and ready for a niacinamide treatment.
Toner also helps to smooth out uneven skin tone. However, you’ll want to avoid using a product that contains alcohol if you have sensitive skin because it might cause redness or irritation on your face.
- Squeeze a few drops of toner to a cotton pad or ball.
- Swipe it all over your skin and ensure that it is evenly distributed.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds for the product to fully penetrate your skin.
4. Apply your niacinamide cream or serum
Now that you’re all set, it’s time to grab your niacinamide cream or serum. As a first-timer, it’s important to start with 2-3 pumps of the product to avoid irritating your skin.
If you have sensitive skin, I recommend you start with 1 pump and then gradually increase it as your skin gets more tolerant to the product.
How to apply it:
- Wash your hands and dry them with a clean towel to avoid introducing new dirt to your skin.
- Take a small amount of niacinamide serum or cream on your fingertips.
- Pat the product gently on your skin with your fingertips.
- Rub it in circular motions until absorbed completely.
To get the most out of your niacinamide, apply a moisturizer after. This will lock in moisture and nutrients from your niacinamide and protect your skin from environmental damage and free radicals.
However, ensure to wait for about 10-15 minutes before grabbing a bottle of your favorite cream or lotion. Doing this will give the niacinamide enough time to fully penetrate your skin.
6. Follow up with sunscreen
While sunscreen may seem to be one of the most boring things in your skincare cabinet, it’s an important product that can help keep your skin healthy by protecting it from sun damage.
Ensure to apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 during the day to fully protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays.
How to use niacinamide and hyaluronic acid
Hyaluronic acid is an ingredient that can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water. This makes it very useful in restoring moisture levels in the skin.
Niacinamide and hyaluronic acid are two beneficial ingredients that can be taken separately or together for more nourished skin. However, these two work even better when combined than individually.
One can enhance the effects of the other and vice versa. Niacinamide and hyaluronic acid work together to boost hydration, stimulate collagen production, and reduce inflammation in your skin.
This helps to reduce signs of aging, such as wrinkles, fine lines, and crow’s feet. It also helps to improve the appearance of your complexion by reducing hyperpigmentation, such as dark spots, brown spots, and acne scars.
How to use it:
- Start by washing your face with a cleanser and drying it with a towel.
- Apply your toner and wait for a few minutes to dry.
- Squeeze a few drops of hyaluronic acid and wait for about 5 minutes for your skin to fully absorb it.
- Apply your niacinamide to your face and wait for at least 5-10 minutes before applying a moisturizer.
- Apply sunscreen during the day to finish up your routine.
How to use Niacinamide and retinol
Retinol is a derivative of vitamin A that reduces fine lines and wrinkles, evens skin tone, and improves the appearance of age spots. It also helps to thicken the outer layer of your skin by stimulating collagen production.
Niacinamide and retinol are both great for your skin. They’re like the peanut butter and jelly of skincare. They go together perfectly and create a beautiful harmony that is greater than when used with other ingredients.
There are many ways to use retinol and niacinamide together. But one thing that needs to be understood is that while they’re both generally considered safe, retinol is highly photosensitive, so you should only use it at night.
The best option is to use a serum that contains both ingredients. However, you can use a retinol serum and a niacinamide cream. You can also apply both niacinamide and retinol serums to your skincare routine.
Here’s how to:
- Wash your skin with a gentle cleanser and dry it as you normally would.
- Apply a face toner and wait for a few minutes to dry.
- Apply your niacinamide serum and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze a few drops of retinol serum on your face and rub it in for 30 seconds.
- Add a layer of moisturizer to seal in moisture on your skin.
How to use niacinamide and salicylic acid
Niacinamide and salicylic acid are both chemical exfoliants with anti-inflammatory properties that can help keep pores clear and shrink them. They also help to treat acne, blackheads, and other skin blemishes.
The best way to use niacinamide with salicylic acid is to find a product that already combines the two. All you have to do is apply the product to your skin before moisturizing it to reap all its benefits.
You can also apply niacinamide and salicylic acid serums to your skin if you want a more concentrated treatment.
Here’s how to:
- Start with a clean canvas by washing your skin with a mild cleanser.
- Apply the niacinamide serum to your clean skin and wait for a few minutes.
- Rub in 2-3 drops of salicylic acid serum and then wait for 10 minutes.
- Apply moisturizer and sunscreen afterward.
How to use niacinamide powder
Niacinamide powder is a beautiful ingredient that offers a wide range of skin benefits. It can help to improve skin texture and tone, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, increase elasticity, and brighten the skin.
Niacinamide powder is the most concentrated form of niacinamide. And unlike serums and creams mixed with other ingredients, niacinamide powders are 100% pure and free from any other additives.
Niacinamide powder is also more versatile and can be mixed with various ingredients and products. This allows you to customize it based on your skin requirements.
Here’s how to:
- Start with a patch test to check for any allergies or irritations.
- Using the spoon provided in the pack, take a quarter scoop of the powder into your palm.
- Add 4-5 drops of water-based treatment (it needs the water to dissolve).
- Mix with your fingertips until you’ve fully dissolved the powder.
- Apply the dissolved powder to your face and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Apply a moisturizer to hydrate your skin and retain moisture.
- Avoid contact with eyes. If contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water.
You can also mix niacinamide with your regular cream or lotion to give the entire surface of your skin a healthy glow.
Can you use niacinamide every day?
Yes, you can.
Niacinamide is a non-toxic ingredient that can be used everyday as long as you do not exceed recommended dosages and steer clear of other vitamin B3 supplements.
For best results, apply a niacinamide cream, serum, or powder twice a day: once in the morning, before you head out, and once before you go to bed at night.
Is niacinamide good for acne?
Yes, it is.
Niacinamide is mostly used as part of an acne treatment regimen. It works by reducing the amount of oil your skin produces, which in turn reduces acne breakouts.
Niacinamide also helps repair damaged skin cells, and it makes your skin look brighter and more even-toned. It also helps calm inflammation, redness, and swelling brought on by acne breakouts.
How do you put niacinamide into your skincare routine?
The best way to include niacinamide in your skincare routine is to apply it just after cleansing and toning but before moisturizing or applying any other skincare products.
You can use niacinamide alone or in combination with other skincare ingredients like retinol, hyaluronic acid, and salicylic acid to help improve the texture and tone of your skin.
Niacinamide is an effective skin-restoring ingredient that can help improve many skin concerns, including dry skin, uneven skin tone, and acne. It also helps to decrease aging signs like fine lines and wrinkles.
The best way to use niacinamide in your skincare routine is by using it alone or layering it with other skincare ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, retinol, and salicylic acid.
You can start with less potent niacinamide-based lotions or creams first before using the more potent options, such as serums and powders. Whichever it is, it’s important to do a patch test first to avoid any unwanted irritations and reactions.
Thanks for reading.
You can get more helpful beauty tips here on MBGON.