It’s always nice to try new beauty and skincare innovations, but certain products are not necessary. Upon hearing about an eye serum, the question that comes to mind is, ‘is eye serum necessary?’ Why do you have to use it in your beauty regimen?
An eye serum is essential for anyone looking to achieve an ageless look. That’s because it targets the delicate areas of the eyes to work on them by penetrating deep into the layer of the skin. It nourishes the skin and helps reduce signs of aging as well as care for tired eyes.
Aging signs, such as wrinkles and fine lines, appear first on the skin around the eyes. You will need this serum to specially care for your skin to reduce and prevent the appearance altogether.
Read ahead to find out what eye serum does, why you need one, and most importantly how to apply one to eliminate aging signs from your skin.
Is eye serum necessary?
No, it is not.
While it would improve your skin immensely, you only need it if you have stubborn skin or a condition that wouldn’t go away.
An eye serum is a lightweight molecular formula that hydrates the skin with its active properties. Not only does it eliminate aging signs, but it also works to improve the appearance of the skin. It provides the necessary nutrients to the skin around your eyes.
The fastest way to get rid of impurities around the eyes is to use a product that is specially designed for it. That is why eye serum is necessary if you are looking to achieve an ageless look even as you age.
Dr. Ife J. Rodney, a board-certified dermatologist, says that these serums are lightweight and water-soluble. Therefore, they easily penetrate the skin to deliver active ingredients to help care for the skin around the eyes.
Using this serum works better on the skin around the eyes than regular face serums, as it targets the affected area of the face by penetrating deep into the skin layer to revitalize the skin.
What exactly does an eye serum do?
Charlotte Turner, the head of training at Clarins, says that it delivers active ingredients into the middle layer of the skin to treat the skin for a quick and good result.
An eye serum contains the necessary skincare ingredients that work to tackle aging and promote ageless skin. It also gets rid of other blemishes and impurities.
It effectively works the fragile skin around the eyes to clear off signs of tiredness and aging, such as puffiness, swelling, eye bags, dark circles, and aging signs.
Not only does it clear signs of aging and tiredness, but it also works to encourage even skin complexion. It encourages skin cell turnover, which helps to remove dead skin cells from the surface to reveal fresh and healthy skin.
Using eye serum on your skin will also encourage the production of collagen and elastin in your skin cells. It tightens your saggy skin and brightens it. The product of these two protein fibers will help to revitalize the skin and reduce aging signs.
If you are looking to prevent, reduce or eliminate aging and tiredness signs, simply use your eye serum to:
- Restore hydration on the fragile skin around your eye after washing/cleaning it. The skin around the eyes is thin, thereby prone to drying out.
- Revitalize and improve the elasticity of the skin around your eyes. This will help to firm up saggy skin.
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other aging signs, dark circles, along with signs of tiredness such as eye bags.
- Reduce swelling and puffiness of the eyes by calming the muscles around the eyes with its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Brighten up the skin to give your face a radiant and ageless look.
- You can as well use the serum to prevent aging signs if you don’t have any aging signs to correct.
How does eye serum work?
It works by penetrating the skin, and traveling past the outer skin layer (epidermis) to the middle layer of the skin (dermis), to feed the skin with nutrients that will help to rejuvenate and treat skin issues.
It is a lightweight and water-soluble formula; therefore, the skin easily absorbs it and receives the nourishment it offers. Once it gets into the skin, it hydrates the skin as well as encourages collagen and elastin production in the skin.
Once you apply the water-soluble in your skin, it quickly gains access to your skin cells to provide much-needed nourishment.
Ingredients in eye serums
Using an eye serum provides several benefits to the skin, however, you need to be guided on how to use it. As mentioned before, the skin around the eye is very thin and sensitive and gets irritated easily. You have to be careful not to irritate it when using skincare products.
The ingredients in your eye serum determine the result you get, especially because eye serums are not created the same. You have to consider your skin type and opt for one that works well for your skin. Below are ingredients to look out for in your eye serum:
- Hyaluronic acid is an ingredient that works to maintain your youthful and glowing appearance by hydrating it deeply. It doesn’t irritate the skin and is suitable for all skin types.
- Neuropeptide boosts collagen and elastin production in the skin to reduce aging skin and other skin issues.
- Retinol is another popular anti-aging ingredient to look for in an eye serum.
- Vitamin B3 helps to restore moisture to the skin, even skin tone, and also reduces the appearance of aging signs.
- Peptides also provide a rightful dose of age-defying benefits to the skin.
- Caffeine reduces aging and tiredness signs as well.
- Vegan Squalane is especially good for dry skin, as it helps to hydrate and refresh the skin.
- Vitamin C is the arsenal of all ingredients as it not only tackles aging signs, it fights and protects the skin from environmental aggressors. It also works to lessen dark spots, while promoting an even skin tone and glowing skin.
How to apply eye serum
- The first step is to cleanse your face to remove dirt buildup.
- After washing your face, blot it dry by patting a dry towel all over your face.
- Use a cotton pad to take a small amount of toner and apply it all over your face to double-cleanse your face.
- You can now apply your serum by squeezing some of it on your palm, rubbing your palms together, and gently applying it to the areas around your eye.
- Do this in a gentle circular motion and wait for your skin to absorb it.
- Follow up the process with your moisturizer to lock in hydration on your skin. Do this after leaving your skin to absorb the serum for a few minutes.
When should you use an eye serum?
Use your eye serum in your everyday routine.
If you want, you can use it in your morning routine or your nighttime routine. However, the best time to use it is during your morning skincare routine.
Using it in the morning will brighten up your face to give it a healthy shine and reduce swelling and puffiness around the eyes. Apply it before going outdoors by following the guide provided earlier.
How often should you use eye serum?
Eye serums are formulated in a way that makes them gentle and do not irritate the eyes, so it is okay to use them every day in both your morning and nighttime skincare routines.
Using it before leaving home will help brighten and give your face a youthful glow. It also protects your skin from environmental aggressors while you are outdoors.
When you are back indoors, use your serum before heading to bed to revitalize your skin cells and nourish the skin around your eyes.
Is there a difference between eye serum and eye cream?
Yes, there is.
A board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Tess Mauricio, MD, FAAD, says that, unlike eye cream, which is a thick oil-based formula, the eye serum is a lightweight, water-based formula.
“Eye cream helps to moisturize the skin to improve the skin’s texture, while eye serum works to eliminate dark circles and aging signs,” says Dr. Mauricio.
Eye serum contains less oil and serves as a delivery machine that delivers potent anti-aging ingredients into the skin, unlike eye cream, whose main job is to moisturize the skin around the eyes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you use eye serum before or after moisturizing?
Use your eye serum before applying moisturizer to your skin.
After applying eye serum on the skin around your eyes, use your moisturizer to seal in hydration and improve the strength of your skin’s barrier against environmental damage.
Can you apply eye serum to your face?
Yes, you can.
You can use eye serum on your face without any risk of side effects. An eye serum is a gentle formula that doesn’t irritate the face, making it okay to use all over the face.
At what age should you use it?
In your mid-20s to early 30s.
The earlier you start using this serum, the better your skin stays ageless.
Incorporating the use of eye serum early in your skincare routine will help keep your skin healthy and beautiful while retaining a younger look.
The skin around the eye is very thin and sensitive and gets irritated easily. You have to be careful not to irritate it when using skincare products. The best way to treat the skin around your eyes is to get a product that works, especially to treat fragile skin without irritating it.
Eye serum helps to keep your eye area looking firmer, brighter, and fresher. With constant use, you can rejuvenate thin skin. Therefore, eye serums are necessary for people who battle with unrelenting wrinkles, face lines, and spots in the eye area.
Thanks for reading.
You can get more helpful beauty tips here on MBGON.